Thursday, November 16, 2006

Is a Gay Conservative like a Muslim Pope?

Off blog, Rajani posed a very interesting question today, and I wish to respond here. This was Rajani's question:
... I find the concept of "conservative gay men" a little difficult to comprehend... When you yourself are a [member of a] minority how could you believe in discriminatory practices against women and all that which goes with the hard-line [E]vangelical [R]ight in [the US]??"
First, I did not support the Abortion Ban in South Dakota. I do not condone discrimination and prejudice in the name of conservatism. Neither do I believe that the world was a great place in 18th century, and we need to revert to that.

Before I answer Rajani's question, let me clarify my general approach to political/social issues:

I am indeed conservative, in the sense that I believe that the liberties of an individual is more secure when she is empowered, rather than in the suprahuman setups such as communities, tribes, societies and governments. I believe that traditions, need to be honored, and not thrown out of the window in fits of ambitious social projects and revolution.

I believe that government regulation should be limited to areas that are demonstrably beyond the ken of market readjustment (pollution control would be a good example of such an area). This would immediately put extreme abortion bans like that of South Dakota out of question

I believe in tolerance of differing views and respect for fellow human beings as a fundamental ethos and these views do include those who believe that homosexuality is "objectively wrong". If you think such tolerance is fundamentally non-conservative, you should read this book.

I do believe that there are good and evil, and these are not just viewpoints. I do not believe humans are born an empty slate, and can be written into as the society wills, or that humans could be shaped and remade in any revolutionary mould. I do not believe that the greater social good should override the individual good.

You might call me a classical liberal, a moderate libertarian, or a Anti-Statist Progressive. Take your pick.

Now, having stated those, let me flip Rajani's question: As a gay man, could I not believe any of those? I do not think so. How could I believe that the societies/governments know best, plan best, and make the best of men, when I know they have been utterly wrong, in the case of homosexuality, for centuries?

A better way to ask it is this: Have you ever come across a point of argument, short of complete voidance of morality, that could be forwarded for the right of gay people to be left alone, that does not rely on limitations on government's/society's role, and wisdom, in casting an individual's life? In fact, arguments of "greatest good for the greatest numbers" are much easier to use against miniscule minorities like gays.

I see strong correlation between my politics, and my own experiences of a gay man. I hope you do too.


PS: If you are wondering, I believe that the morality of abortion degrades with the advancement of the pregnancy, and the government could claim any role at all only in advanced stages, and even then, the decision to abort a pregnancy should be made at a case-by-case level by the mother and the doctor.

No comments: